Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a proactive approach to establishing the behavioral supports and social culture needed for all students in a school to achieve social, emotional and academic success. At FMS, we strive to teach our students appropriate behaviors and responses to specific situations but modeling, teaching and rewarding the appropriate action. Through advisory, students are taught S.A.I.L. and exposed to theoretical exercises to practice becoming the best Viking citizen.
Students are rewarded for academics, attendance and behavior in the following ways:
A. Students will receive a card if they earn one or more of the following for the quarter:
- All A’s, Honor Roll, Perfect Attendance, or No Discipline. These will be checked on each student’s card.
B. Students earning a card may go to the Quarter Social (held at the end of the day).
C. All A students will also earn the Order Out Lunch.
- No-discipline for the quarter- Students will receive Viking Cards and can go to the quarterly social
- No-discipline all year—Skating Trip in May
- Finland’s Finest: Staff nominates a student(s) each quarter for displaying good character; breakfast with staff, students and parents to celebrate
- Viking Virtues: given to students when they are displaying one of our virtues, students turn their slips into the office and names are drawn every Friday for a treat in the office
- Positive Referral: Staff will nominate a student each quarter that is displaying that month’s virtue. Administration will meet individually with these students in small group for a special reward!
- Quarterly reward for homerooms that color in an “All Aboard” handout
- Yearly challenge between 7th and 8th grade, announced and updated daily, rewarded throughout the year and the overall winning grade receives an additional reward at end of the year!